Andy Hall

On 27 Aug 2005 03:23:41 -0700, wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

- Cut the pipe clean and square using a tubing cutter and not a
hacksaw

I don't buy this. When I started using plastic pipes I used a hacksaw
and trimmed of the pipe edge. As long as the cut is square all is fine
as the pipe indert isolates the pipe from the O ring as it is being
pushed on the pipe. For a few joints, using a hacksaw and some care,
and all is fine.

He said exactly the same and ended up
with a flood.

If I recall rightly he never had a flood, he had a faulty Speedfit
fitting and informed the group to beware.

That's what he *said*. However, many people here have used Speedfit
and other brands of push fit fitting both on a DIY and professional
basis with no problems at all, therefore one is much more likely to
believe that it was operator error. Do you seriously believe that a
manufacturer is going to take any notice of somebody running into a
problem with a product when they choose to ignore the instructions.?

I take notice of this sort of
advice as I don't want problems when I fit pipes. I want to avoid
problem products and areas.

Exactly. If you use a pipe cutter, the problems can be avoided.

Most, if not all of the plastic plumbing manufacturers explicitly tell
you not to use a hacksaw.

To the OP. That is bunkum.

The manufacturers take a different view.

Please refer to:

http://www.johnguest.com/makeconnect.asp

http://www.hep2o.co.uk/v2Opipecutting1.cfm

http://tinyurl.com/959q9 (refers to Osma Gold)

http://www.equator.co.uk/newwebsite/...on_making.html

I have made lots of joints using a hacksaw
to cut plastic pipe. Hepworth on this actual group told everyone that a
plastic pipe cutter is not needed, and other tools can be used if care
is taken.

What they *actually* said was:

"We do recommend the use of a Hep2O pipe cutter, however any pipe
cutter designed to cut plastics pipes should be suitable. One of the
major advantages of a purpose designed cutter is speed, however the
requirements for the cutter are that it should cut the tube square
without scoring or scratching the pipe or leaving burrs or swarf which
could get under the 'O' ring. It is for this reason that hacksaws
should not be used.

The inventive can find many ways of achieving a perfectly acceptable
clean, square cut using a variety of tools. "

This does not read to me as being an endorsement to use a hacksaw.

A high quality pipe cutter is essential when doing a whole
system as they are very quick and easy. When fitting a sink unit using
a few joints they are not essential. As I have stated, make sure the
end of the pipe is square and trimmed off with a Stanley knife or fine
file. Use a mitre block to get a square cut, if you have one. The pipe
insert protects the O ring from the pipe behind it as the fitting is
pushed on.

In the case of plastic pipe, it also supports the shape of the pipe in
the fitting.

Any problems will be the O ring snagging any burr on the
pipe edge as the O ring slides over.

Which can be avoided by using the proper tools.

Keep the pipe and fitting well
greased and twist slightly as you push. If you are only fitting a sink
unit then use high quality compression joints and copper pipes, not
plastic. Compression joints are easy to undo. Brass pushfit fittings
are difficult to undo even using the dismounting tool. The pushfit
flexible connectors can be used on copper pipe without inserts. Make
sure the copper pipe is cut with a sharp pipe cutter and no burred
edges and grease the pipe well. Do not overtighten the pipe cutter as
you turn it as this may oval the pipe. An oval pipe end may not make a
good seal with a pushfit fitting. If you do oval the pipe, push it into
a compression fitting to round it back up again.

I use a £40 gun type pipe cutter as I now use lots of
plastic pipe.

These are good, I know, but the casual user can use a £5 pipe cutter
and get a good and correct result without bodging with a hacksaw

The cheap cutters are not worth it. You may as well use a sharp axe.

For a small number of joints, they are perfectly adequate and can be
resharpened if needed or treated as disposable.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl