Terry

"Slurp" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello All

Can someone let me know how much I would expect to pay for just over 1
metre squared of 4mm glass for some sash windows and the labour to
reglaze?

Within the last two years I replaced three panes in the metal edged sliding
units of one of our basement windows with a total area of two by eight feet
= sixteen sq. feet or approx, 1.5 sq. metres.
The glass company cut the (AFIK it was regular 4mm etc.) glass to the sizes
needed measuring from the broken units then threw that old glass away. I
picked up the glass panes and reassembled them into the metal edged sliders
using the existing materaial. All told took me a couple of hours including
picking up the glass and bringing it home.
Total cost, including the cutting to size, IIRC was $36 (36 dollars Canadian
including our sales tax) or roughly 16 quid. Glass is said to be somewaht
expensive here; some 1500+ miles from the main population centres of North
America! Transportation cost is a factor in everything we do, particularly
housing/construction, especially since trucking involves an eight hour ferry
connection in good weather with mainland Canada or every five day container
ship from Montreal. Glass is also heavy.

All the now 35 year old windows in our house, comprise two sets of sliders
each with single glass. In other words a typical window comprises two
aluminium edged outer sliders and two inner sliders, in aluminium tracks,
all set into a wooden (cedar or redwood) window box/frame built into the
wood frame wall of the house. Half of full window size insect screens were
included. These can also slide so as to be left or right; the only
undesirable feature of which is that they mount on the outside edge of the
outer tacks, meaning that they have to be removed (very easy job done from
inside though) and stored each winter lest they get full of snow/ice. By
contrast some other manufacturers windows 'store' the screens between the
two sets of sliders.

Although this sounds cumbersome and not as tidy compared to, say, the
'sealed twindow' double glass unit 'picture window' as we have in our
biggest four by eight foot main room window, these windows have worked out
very well in this climate which is similar to but colder than the UK. The
windows were manufactured locally from standard materials. Even in winter
one set of sliders can be removed and or interchanged with the other set
and/or cleaned flat on a table in a few minutes from inside the house;
although as a one storey bungalow all 46 glass sliders (22 panes in basement
and 24 panes main floor) windows are also accessible from outside.

The maximum any of our windows can be opened is to about half it's area. Or
the two sets of sliders can be removed. this makes it very convenient for
putting stuff through a window; planks, firewood chunks and or sheets of
plywood etc. in/out the basement and furniture etc. a bedroom .