Harold and Susan Vordos

"CAMCOMPCO" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I am considering upgrading my lathe and have gotten a 'wife approved"
budget of 2500 bucks. The most important thing to me is quality and
longevity. I can slowly acquire tooling and such. I want a tool that
will last me my whole life and never be the weak link in my shop (home
hobby).

I am torn between concentrating on South bend or Clausing. I believe
the tooling is more readily available for the southbend but have heard
some good things about Clausing (5903 for example) too

What should I expect for 2500 bucks? I purchased a Bridgeport mill a
year and a half ago for 5500 and couldn't be happier (it was totally
rebuilt to original specs, new oil lines, acme screw and nuts, motor
was re wired, etc..) but I struggled with the decission for months
before comming to grips with the $$$$ for something made 30 years ago
(just rubbed me wrong for the longest time)

any feedback would be great...I checked the archives but am hoping for
some new insight..never hurts...

Cheers all.

John

I wouldn't close the door on other makes of machines if it was up to me.
I'd keep my eyes open for a good LeBlond, P&W, Lodge & Shipley, American,
Mori-Seiki, Graziano, Monarch or any other decent make of machine, and
there's lots of them from which you can pick. The likelihood of finding a
good machine would improve considerably, and you'd never regret getting an
industrial rated machine instead of a light duty one. All of this, of
course, hinges on your ability to house and use a larger machine, and if
your work justifies it.

I also wouldn't get in a hurry. Do like you did with your Bridgeport, hunt
for that rare gem that's worth the money you'll lay down. You're a quantum
leap better off to pay a respectable price for a decent machine than you'd
be to buy a clapped out one that would require reworking. I recommend
such a buy only to people that delight in rebuilding machines, which, in the
end, would typically cost a huge amount more than one in decent condition.

Don't let a flashy paint job fool you, either. Don't lose sight of the fact
that paint does nothing to make a machine run well. Be more concerned
about the physical condition of the machine you buy, even if it's
ugly--------unless your thing is polishing machines instead of using them.

Harold