CAMCOMPCO

Default $2500 budget on lathe...what should I expect

Hi all,

I am considering upgrading my lathe and have gotten a 'wife approved"
budget of 2500 bucks. The most important thing to me is quality and
longevity. I can slowly acquire tooling and such. I want a tool that
will last me my whole life and never be the weak link in my shop (home
hobby).

I am torn between concentrating on South bend or Clausing. I believe
the tooling is more readily available for the southbend but have heard
some good things about Clausing (5903 for example) too

What should I expect for 2500 bucks? I purchased a Bridgeport mill a
year and a half ago for 5500 and couldn't be happier (it was totally
rebuilt to original specs, new oil lines, acme screw and nuts, motor
was re wired, etc..) but I struggled with the decission for months
before comming to grips with the $$$$ for something made 30 years ago
(just rubbed me wrong for the longest time)

any feedback would be great...I checked the archives but am hoping for
some new insight..never hurts...

Cheers all.

John