Randy Zimmerman

The tip is not closer as in a closer arc. It is not pointing to the
exact corner but 1/16 closer to you on the flat surface.
This trick works for wire feed and even when pointing a flame in
Oxy-acetylene welding. It helps to prevent accidental melting of the
vertical surface and the resulting undercut. Undercut is the one thing
you want to avoid.

Christopher Tidy wrote:

Thanks. I'll try the J-method as well. I need to do some experimenting
and see what works best for me. When you say "the rod is pointed about
1/16th more onto the horizontal surface" do you mean the tip of the rod
is 1/16" closer to the horizontal surface than the vertical surface?

Chris