Christopher Tidy

R. Zimmerman wrote:
I do just about what Roy does with some modifications. I use the 45 degrees
but the rod is pointed about 1/16th more onto the horizontal surface. I use
a "J" motion. Imagine a letter "J" laying on its side. I move forward then
back and up against the vertical surface watching the puddle form behind the
rod. I move down and forward again and then hooking back. Each time I hook
back I am hesitating and looking to see that the molten metal is piling up
against the vertical surface properly. If you hook up too high you will
burn into the vertical surface and create undercut.
Randy

Thanks. I'll try the J-method as well. I need to do some experimenting
and see what works best for me. When you say "the rod is pointed about
1/16th more onto the horizontal surface" do you mean the tip of the rod
is 1/16" closer to the horizontal surface than the vertical surface?

Chris