Chris

Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote in message
Bob Chilcoat wrote:

Years ago in Syracuse, I bought a Craftsman Splitting Maul. After using
it
for a few days, the wooden handle broke (overshot the log I was
splitting).
I took it back. The guy tried to tell me that it wasn't included in the
free replacement warranty, which was just for "Craftsman Hand Tools" as
was
shown on the poster over the hand tool section. I pointed out that it
said
"Craftsman" on the broken handle, and that it certainly wasn't a power
tool.
So he gave me a free replacement. A couple of weeks later, the same
thing
happened. Same story, same outcome. Over the course of the next year
or
so, I got three more new mauls (I guess I'm not real accurate with my
swing), with gradually escalating hassle. As I was handed the last one,
was told, "No more. This is it." When I finally broke that one, I
decided
that I was tired of the hassle, and that Sears didn't really owe me
anything, so I bought a replacement fiber-glass handle, which is still
on
the maul. They still haven't put any limitation on axes and splitting
mauls, or for broken wooden handles.

Try splitting a foot long piece of radiator hose and then cable tying it
around the handle just back of the head. Should help protect on the
overshoots. Some of the sledges and mauls come with a similar protector
these days.

Pete C.

Also, a metal shield can be made to slip up around the handle, close
to the head. Thick enough metal to prevent the handle from breaking.
OR.... he could just cut 6 inches off the end of his arms.... G
Ken.

Actually a couple of misses with the fiberglass handle and he will learn to
be more accurate in a hurry. They pass a lot of vibration to the user.
Chris