Christopher Tidy

Default The secret of a neat fillet weld?

Hi all,

I've been using a stick welder for occasional hobby projects for about 9
years now (the welder is a Cytringan Bantam 180 amp oil-cooled unit).
I've mastered butt welds and can achieve an even bead with neat
restarts, but I can't quite get fillets right. I've tried varying the
current, moving the electrode slowly up and down, following the
instructions regarding angle in my welding book etc., but my fillets
still contain small slag inclusions. I'm using E 6013 electrodes and 3-5
mm thick 43A mild steel plate (these might both be British-only
standards). Now I find that I'm designing my projects so as to avoid
fillet welds. Can anyone suggest how to improve my fillet welds, or do I
just need more practice?

Any hints would be much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Chris