Lobster

Default Building Regs

"Hugo Nebula" wrote in message ...
"blakey9000" wrote in message
m...

If none of the above apply, and you have fully approved plans showing an
open plan layout, then the Council can't take enforcement action against you
for failing to provide an enclosure (except by way of an injunction to the
High Court for a dangerous building). However they can withhold a
completion certificate on the basis that it doesn't comply with the
requirements.

However, the lack of an enclosure at ground floor level is so fundamental to
the safety of a loft conversion that any competent architect or Building
Control Surveyor should have picked it up on day one. It's one of the first
questions I ask when I'm asked, "what do I need for a loft conversion?".

I know we're still talking 'theoretically' here, but if the latter is
the case, does that mean that the punter just has to grin and bear it,
and pick up the tab for undoing work done so far, and redoing it to
the appropriate standard?

I had a slightly similar situation myself, in that I am doing my
current project under a building notice. The BCO has been round many
times to inspect, and on one visit, said 'did you put sound insulation
in those partition walls?' (she'd seen them previously, before the
plasterboard was fitted) 'Er, no, did I need to...' It wasn't a big
deal to put right, because said walls hadn't yet been skimmed, so was
just a simple matter of unscrewing the plasterboard panels. However,
the experience did get me wondering what else might suddenly strike
her to check up on in future visits, before I get my completion
certificate. I did ask her at the time if there was anything else I
should be aware of - don't think so, she said.

Is this just a risk/side-effect of me being a cheapskate and not doing
the job on a full plan?

David