JEB

Default homebrew preservative?

Hello All,

I'm pretty new to woodturning, and so far have always used pre-dried wood.
I moved into a lakeside community last spring, so this summer I've started
to collect logs from people in the development that I find cutting down
trees. Although I stored the logs in my basement (where I thought they
would dry out slow enough not to crack, all of the logs have stress cracks
on the ends. The average size is 8 - 12" in diameter and approx 24" long.

Is it possible to make a homebrew preservative to apply to the ends of my
logs? I have no local place to purchase it, and to purchase a gallon at an
online store and have it shipped, I would be concerned about it arriving in
one piece. Plus the additional cost of the shipping. ($7.00 at Woodcraft
for a gallon jug). I've never used it before, but assume that a gallon
wouldn't go far either.

Would melting old candles and apply the wax to the ends do the same job?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, how long will it take for the logs to get dry enough to turn? (dry -
as in not green wood that would not warp considerably after turning like
green turned bowls do). My basement is fairly dry with a constant
temperature of around 65 degrees. I say fairly dry-- I have a cement floor
in the basement with a (submerged) sump pump but also run a dehumidifier (I
have my workshop down there).
--
Thanks...JEB

Stop by and visit