Jerry Martes

"manytoys" wrote in message
ups.com...
Folks,

I want to modify my furnace from Propane to electricity.

First question: can standard incoloy elements handle the temperatures
required? I suppose 1200 deg F to be safe?

They are comparatively cheap and can be custom made to fit the furnace.

Second question: Approx what power am I looking at?
Inner dimensions with lid on is: dia 8 inches , height 10 inches.
Wall thickness 4 inches.
I guesstimate 2 kw will do.

Third question: How do I do the temp control cheaply?

I have had reasonable success with a homemade temperature control by
making a strip of metal that is made of two different metals with differing
coefficients of expansion. One end is secured ant the other end is free to
swing at the temperature changes. Mount a contact nea rthe swinging end
and let it control a power relay.