rob w

Default Help: Planning application for two storey extension

wrote in message . ..
Hi,

I recently applied for planning permission to build a two-storey
extension on the side of my semi-detached house. There is an existent
detached garage there which would be demolished to make way for the
extension. The proposed extension would be inline with the exisiting
house (i.e. not set forward or back of the current house). The house
is right at the end of a row of semis so the extension side is not
very close to another property.

I've just had a letter from the local council saying that there have
been no specific objections to the application but that we would have
to set back the extension by 1 metre from the the existing house in
order to get approval because "(it) would allow the extension to sit
more comfortably with the parent dwelling ...". However the main
purpose of this extension is to gain a double bedroom and reducing the
size of this room by 1 metre would make it a single and useless to us.
We haven't got much space at the back so I don't think it would be
feasable to move the whole thing back by 1m.

The property is not listed and we do not live in a conservation area.
(It's an ordinary 1960's semi).

The only other house in our street that has been extended recently did
not have to have any "set back". (The houses are not long front to
back).

Does anyone have any practical suggestions that may help to solve this
issue, please? Where can I find out more about this?

Thanks in advance
(Worried)

I had exactly the same problem, i just went to planning, drawings in
hand and had a meeting with them , problem solved it seemed as if you
put up a reasonable arguement they will roll over, this happened three
times duing the build of the extension and I won each time.
Ive since built a self build and they where not as willing to talk on
that but thats another story no pun intended!
Rob