BillyBob

"HMFIC- 1369" PRC- wrote in message
news:rDePe.21279$xp.16740@trnddc02...

Basically the argument is sound either way since neither of us know the
travel length of the table or even the positioning of the miter.....

Your feedback is both highly regarded and appreciated, I'm just a thick

Mic.

Guess what? YOU ARE RIGHT! I finally did what I suggested you do - make a
model of some sort and play with it. I must admit I was constrained in my
thinking by my table saw slider. Its identical functionally. The
difference is that the slider is a 75 pound hunk of cast iron. Because of
this, the table is highly restricted by the manufacturer on how far it can
extend in either direction. In fact, the travel is limited to exactly 50% of
the length of the slider. This is intentional, so the center of gravity of
the slider does not move past the edge of the table, causing it to try to
tip. Its a Jet saw and I would expect their design to be conservative.

So the distance of travel is going to be determined by how the manufacturer
has limited the extension in either direction to ensure stability (assuming
they limited it at all). I worked out the formula.

Travel distance = Length of slider + (Length of slider/2) - Length of
overlap between table and slider

If we assume an overlap of 10", then

Travel distance = 30.75 + (30.75/2) - 10
= 36.125"

If we assume an overlap of 50% of the length, then
Travel distance = 30.75 +(30.75/2) - (30.75/2)
=30.75"

I posted a drawing in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

Maybe we should start a lottery to see what the answer is. Let us know what
you learn from Grizzley.

Bob