carl mciver

wrote in message
oups.com...
SNIP

| If the engine is driving, why spin the motor(s)?
|
| I'd like to freewheel or at least engage/disengage both powerplants.
| Any dog clutch ideas?
|
| If the rear wheel is spinning at 1,000 rpm and if the sprocket driving
| ratio is 1:3, the jackshaft will spin at 3,000 rpm.
|
| Always open to new ideas.
|
| Boyntontu

Pardon me while I butt in here, but this sounds like a hybrid. If you
have the electronics savvy, or can find it, you could let the motors
freewheel while you use them to provide power to the rest of the vehicle and
the bulk of the braking power. Is the flywheel effect something you want or
don't want? If instant acceleration is important to you, then perhaps you
need the sprag, but if it doesn't matter, let them spin. When coming to a
stop, use them for dynamic braking, which if the batteries have enough
charge, you can dissipate the bulk of the power with a big set of resistors,
controlled with some heavy semiconductors.
Maybe you could even find a wrecked hybrid automobile and salvage a
bunch of it, but then you start all over again.