Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
David Hearn wrote:
Got a leaflet through my door today advertising Scale Manager 2. Now I
know these electronic descaling devices are disputed whether they work -
I personally don't think they do - but what I'm posting about is the
practically impossible claims they make. I quote:

"For example, a household with a quarter inch (7mm) of limescale using a
kettle 5 times a day, 2 x 30 gallon tanks of domestic hot water a day
and a washing machine 3 times a week. Over a 10 year period could save
a householder in excess of £3,000, assuming an inflation rate of 4% per
annum." (then: Energy consumption figures supplied by East Midlands
electricity 1996).

So - ignoring the inflation bit (which is firstly high, but also I don't
think would make a huge difference to this) - they say that you'll SAVE
just under £300 per year. "costs may be reduced by 37%". So, they're
thinking you spend £1,000 a year (£83 a month) on heating water?

Does this sound right to you (not them saving money - but the figures
stated).

They're Drivel figures plucked from the air.

Bit like Calgon ads. Work out the cost of using Calgon every wash. Then
see how long it would take to pay for a new machine by simply banking that
money. Let alone a DIY replacement of the heating element they show. ;-)

Limescale doesn't continue to build up. It reaches a point and then stays
near enough the same thickness.

--
*They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.