glassguy

Stuart Benoff wrote:
I'm starting to get prices for this work and now I really wish I could get the price you mention. A rep from Anthony came out last week and they want $20,000 to re-plaster, re-tile and put in new coping. Of course, if I agree to do it this fall it's only 18K. My pool is 880 square feet - so it's on the larger side for backyard pools.

I got a second price around $14,000 and this includes $1,100 to empty the pool. I'm thinking of renting a pump and doing that myself. Does anyone know if there is anything to watch out for when emptying a pool?

Thanks!

Pagan wrote:
"Stuart Benoff" wrote in message

Steve,

At this point I'd be very happy with paying $3K although you're not

including new tile and coping but I agree with doing it right the first
time. How long do you expect your new plaster to last?

I have a pool slightly smaller than SteveB, 40 years old, and it cost
something less than $3,000 for plaster, roughly $1,000 for tiles, and
$1,2000 for coping. I don't remember, exactly, because I also had the whole
pool replumbed, with new skimmer and all new equipment. Anyway, my neighbor
had the fiberglass thing done years ago, and just a few months later they
had it replastered. The fiberglass coating over plaster/concrete thing is
nothing new, and it's as big a rip-off now as it's always been. Avoid it at
all costs.

Painting isn't much better, in most cases. Although some folks have painted
their pools and had good results, most end up having to either remove the
paint, or the plaster, within a few months to a few years, as this stuff
isn't designed to last more than 7 years or so.

New plaster is your best bet, along with some new tile if you can. The
coping can probably be repaired if it's not too bad off.

You might want to take a close look at your plumbing. If it's copper, or it
needs repair which requires cutting up the pool, now is the time to do it.

Pagan

Regarding the choice of a fiberglass coating and "it's as big a rip-off
now as it's always been", is a statement I must take issue with.
Fiberglass resurfacing, done properly with the proper resins and
gelcoat will last up to 25 years, although it may need some cosmetic
help after 15 or so years.

There is no plaster, used for resurfacing, that will last even 10
years. That's why the guarantee for replastering is never greater than
4 years, and is usually 2 years, or even less. Plaster is a great
solution for new pools because it will last a long time, but putting
plaster on an old pool is an entirely different story. That's why the
replaster guarantee is so short.

I take issue with the statement that "as this stuff (paint)isn't
designed to last more than 7 years or so." No POOL paint is designed or
expected to last "7 years or so". Two or three years is the maximum,
then it goes downhill rapidly. Unless, of course, you refer to lead
based paint which could last 7 years, but that's no longer available in
this country.

Finally, I take issue with "The coping can probably be repaired if it's
not too bad off." Coping cannot be repaired in any way, shape, or form;
it can only be replaced.

My response is based on 14 years of executive management in swimming
pool restoration.