Jim Stewart

Ignoramus32687 wrote:

On 22 Aug 2005 18:50:44 GMT, Chuck Sherwood wrote:

I am not so sure.
I bought two DC motors for next to nothing: a 90V 1 HP Leeson ($5),
and a 180V 1.5 HP Dayton with controller ($20).

Add to it a few electronic relays, this and that, and I could quickly
have a power unit built on a cart.

Getting 90V DC would require some fairly expensive and heavy batteries.

Hm, he could just buy 8 garden tractor batteries. Not exactly cheap,
but not that expensive.

180VDc would probably be insane.

Agreed.

You will spend way more money on batteries than you saved on the
motor. All the components have to work together and thats pretty
tough to do with scrounged parts.

Well, that's a part of fun of life. After all, it is much easier to
buy a working gasoline motorcycle than it is to dick around with
strange motors.

Based on my limited experience, it's easier
to buy a *broke* gasoline motocycle and fix
it than to dick around with strange motors.