Jon Elson

Pete wrote:
Give some thought to this , a VFT takes 240V AC and converts to DC the
rectifier side of the VFD,The VFD inverter section sees the DC and inverts
it to 240 volt AC three phase. Using a VFD and supplying 240 DC from a
battery bank of sufficient size directly into the DC side of the VFD you
will create variable frequency AC hence variable speed.His project is very
doable although I doubt if anything smaller than a car will be a big enough
platform to carry sufficient battery storage.

Actually, you need to supply a 240 V VFD with about 340 - 360 V DC,
which is the peak voltage of a 240 V line. You probably want to use
a 240 V battery stack or a bidirectional voltage converter, as the VFD
will pull energy back from the motor on deceleration. How the HELL
you will pack all of that PLUS the 7.5 Hp motor into even a large
motorcycle frame is beyond me. I've seen it done to a Ford Taurus
station wagon, and there WAS enough room there. But a motorcycle?
Better be miniaturized electronics and batteries!

Finally, is 7.5 Hp enough? I have my doubts.

Jon