Chuck Sherwood

I am not so sure.
I bought two DC motors for next to nothing: a 90V 1 HP Leeson ($5),
and a 180V 1.5 HP Dayton with controller ($20).

Add to it a few electronic relays, this and that, and I could quickly
have a power unit built on a cart.

Getting 90V DC would require some fairly expensive and heavy batteries.
180VDc would probably be insane. You will spend way more money on
batteries than you saved on the motor. All the components have to
work together and thats pretty tough to do with scrounged parts.
You will spend so much time trying to make it work and still have
a compromised product.

I have degrees in electrical engineering. I use to think I could
design and build things cheaper than I could buy them. In college
we would build our own audio amps, digital clocks etc. It was fun
and educational, but not really cheap when you take into account
the burned out parts that are part of the learning curve.

I use the same concepts for metalworking. I repair things and build
what I cannot buy. I cannot build things for the same price they
are available commercially.

I own 4 electric scooters. The better ones use three 12volt batterys
feeding a 36V DC motor. Surprisingly quick for a 350watt motor.
The whole scooter weighs 65 lbs and will carry an adult very well.
Very simple and works.

Yes, that's what I would do as well.

My point here is simplicity. An electric motor with a chain drive
to the rear wheel. An electric speed controller and some batteries.
Very basic; leave the fancy electric vehicles to the pros with
big bucks.