Dave Solly

"Carolina Breeze HVAC" wrote in
:

"Dave Solly" wrote in message
I have lived in this house since it was new, 20 years ago. This past
week, during the late afternoon, I would get condensation coming from
the air outlet closest to the air handler and right after the coil. I
remember reading on this group that this is probably caused by icing
of the coil. remembering that low air movement across the coil could
cause this, I changed the filter and this time used a filter that
would allow more flow ( I had one of those super duper ones that
wouldn't let any pollen through). For the next day or so, that seemed
to fix the problem. Now today, It has started again. I turned the AC
off for about an hour, then turned it back on and no more
condensation dripping from the outlet. I know, however, that it will
probably return in another couple of hours. It is presently 100
degrees outside. The humidity is about 40%. Inside the temp is 77
degrees with a humidity of about 33%.

This is the situation. The compressor is out side. Everything else is
inside in the attic. Over the life of the AC, the filters have NOT be
changed out on a regular basis. For the first 15 years or so, I used
the el-chepo filters. Usually, when I did remember to change them,
they were clogged up with dust. Last year I had someone come out to
do a checkup. This was the first time in about 10 years. He measured
the flow from the vents and used the gauges (I have no idea what the
measurements were but he said the readings all looked good). He also
checked the temp of the air coming out of the vents. All was good for
the unit I had. He of course tried to sell me a new high effency
unit, but when we finished talking, the payback would be after I was
dead.

So now I'm thinking that one of two things is wrong. Either the coil
is clogged up and won't allow enough air to flow through the coil and
it therefore freezes up, or the freon level is low(?). There seems to
be good air flow coming from the vents and the air is cool, but can
the air get around the coil? Or is it possible that some of the coil
is clogged and that's where the ice starts to form, and then it just
gets worse from there?

I know I'm going to have to call an AC guy out, but I'd like to have
an idea of what else the problem could be.

Thanks.

Dave

Dave...first of all....ignore the comment about the stat being too
low...turning the stat too low on a properly charged system does
NADA...the system knows only on, or off, and going too low will NOT
cause freezing on a properly charged and operational unit in summer
temps...PERIOD.

Now, you probably answered your own question, but its impossible to
see it from here, however, your lack of normal service is screaming
clogged coil....DO NOT LET YOUR AC GUY PUT ANY REFRIGERANT IN THE
UNIT TILL HE INSPECTS THE COIL!!!!
Most guys will come out, with only a manifold and a nice green tank
and start juicing the unit..they never go inside, never take a lineset
temp, never take a RH% reading indoors, never get a dew point...never
do any of that and start to overcharge the unit, and then, WITHOUT a
scale, they start to dump refrigerant into the unit and then, with NO
WAY to know what they put in the unit, they proudly proclaim its
working, and charge you for 3lbs of refrigerant that they got for next
to nothing and charge you $45 a lb for it.
Low airflow across the coil, due to dirt, mold, etc, will cause the
pressure readings at the manifold to be, or appear low. (BTW, those
pressures...mean NOTHING to a trained tech...hes looking for temps
anyway) A dirty blower wheel will cause the same thing due to lack of
airflow..lack of airflow, means lack of heat being transfered to the
coil, and thus, lower pressures. IF the units not been serviced, its
worth your while to get the evap properly cleaned, the condensor
properly cleaned, and THEN have the tech look for the issue..chances
are, if it is low, and the ONLY way hes gonna know is to check the
coils, clean the coils, and go inside and take temp readings for
starters...then its got a slow leak. Any legitimate company will check
the coils while they are servicing the unit for leaks..and use a
detector thats of decent quality...not soap unless its a question of
moisture setting the detector off..and if hes got a decent one, like
CPS, or LeBold, that wont happen anyway.
9 out of 10 leaks are at the service ports and can be repaired in
seconds, not hours normally.

Now...things you want to see..

1-Checking the evap coil, and cleaning if needed.
2-Taking temp readings of the suction line and return air temp indoors
BEFORE adding a damn drop of refrigerant.
3-a SCALE under that green refrigerant jug, so he knows EXACTLY how
much he put in....
4-a leak check if he adds any refrigerant.

You will want to ask him how hes gonna check the charge, and if he
says, by pressure, you can tell him to get on down the
road..superheat, or subcool, and HE wont know till he checks your
metering device in the evap.

Now...if you want a gas-n-go.....then let him do whatever he wants,
and dont do anything but pay him whatever he asks...LOL

Thanks for the info Steve. I'm printing it out.