AlexW

Just been having my first stab at bricklaying this last weekend.
It was a sunny day, over 70 degrees.

Question: When laying bricks on a hot day is it best to use a slighty
wetter mortar mix than normal? Not excessively so, just an extra dash
of water.

Bruce

I am a complete punter, but my guess would be that its better to cover
up the brick work or dampen later to slow the curing to a reasonable rate.

I think its the rate of curing which is important.

I was doing some pointing (indian stone flags) this weekend and had
similar problems in that the surface went off too quickly and but the
lower stuff had not gone off - this made brushing off trickier than normal.

I also find that when using a mixer the mix can go from "perfect" to
very sloppy with only a small amount of additional water.

Alex.