On 20 Aug 2005 21:49:33 -0700, in misc.consumers.house
wrote:

Greetings all!

When my wife and I bought our home around 8 years ago, we inherited my
mom-in-law's 20-year-old washer and dryer...presumably, so we thought
at the time...as a stop-gap measure until we bought our own. Well, the
truth is, these old Kenmore appliances worked great, and were very
capacious and never harmed clothes, so we just kept them. But my wife
has always been waiting for the point when one broke, so she could buy
us a fresh set.

Well, she finally got her wish. The dryer stopped working, an

http://www.consciouschoice.com/2000/...ible1305b.html

Front-Loading Washers
by James Dulley
Dear Jim: I need a new clothes washer. I have heard about quiet, efficient
front-loader models, but since they use less water, I worry about allergies from
ineffective rinsing. Do they really wash and rinse well? — Peg J.

Dear Peg: Front-loading washers (horizontal axis) are superior in most ways to
top-loading ones that are most popular in the U.S. In Europe and most of the
world, efficient front-loaders are predominantly used. Front-loaders typically
are designed with very high-quality materials for a longer life.

A front-loader design allows the washer and dryer to be stacked on top of one
another to save floor space. Also, the ease of access to a front-loader for the
physically impaired is a serious consideration for our aging population.

By design, front-loaders wash more effectively than top-loaders. By using less
water, less detergent, and less energy to heat the water, the annual savings of
operating a front-loader can be as much as $100. Also, the gentle washing action
minimizes damage and fading of your clothes.

Instead of filling a tub with water and using a plastic agitator to move the
water, a front-loader uses gravity. As the tub spins on a horizontal axis, the
clothes gently tumble through the sudsy water. An automatic sensor determines
the proper water level for the size of the load.

As the tub is only partially filled with water, the clothes actually fall
through the air from the top of the tub as it spins. This allows them to fan out
before they reach the water and swish through it again. There is very little
clumping of clothes, which allows for more thorough cleaning.

Many of the models have built-in adjustable water heater elements that can raise
the wash water to as high as 200 degrees. This improves cleaning and is ideal
for washing children's clothes. The hotter temperatures can also kill the
bacteria and viruses that are so common during cold and flu seasons.

With a horizontal axis and no agitator, a front-loader spins several times
faster (up to 1,600 rpm) than a top-loader. This improves rinsing. An electronic
brain senses if the load is unbalanced. If so, the tub automatically stops,
rotates back and forth to even it out the weight, and spins again.

For effective rinsing, some models use a suds sensor. If too much soap is
present, it automatically runs additional rinse cycles until the water is clear.
You can also select models with manual settings of up to seven rinses.

Combination space-saving front-loader washer/dryers do both the washing and
drying in the same unit from start to finish. You put in the dirty clothes and
take out clean dry clothes. Portable models are available on casters that have
small built-in water heaters so only cold water is needed.

Write for (or instantly download) Update Bulletin No. 866, buyer's guide of
twelve front-loader and combination washer/dryers, capacities, speeds, cycles,
and features. Please include $3 and a business-size SASE. James Dulley,
Conscious Choice, 6906 Royalgreen Dr., Cincinnati, OH 45244