ATP*

"Al A." wrote in message
Thanks for all of the replies.
This would not be a ballasted instillation. It would be going over a
plywood surface, as the roll roofing that is there will need to be
stripped anyhow.

I will look into the Modified bitumen systems some of you guys
mentioned. Probably have to do the cold-bond, doing it with a torch is
maybe a bit more than I feel up to, and would, without question, put
my wife over the edge. So to speak.

Anyhow, I do beleive that EDPM is the stuff that commonly gets put on
trailer and mobile homes, I saw lots of reference to that in my web
searching.

I like the idea of a 40 year soloution to this. By then it will
likely be someone elses problem. Still not sure how to go with this,
but will let you know what I come up with. Thanks for all of the food
for thought!!

-AL

Ballasted EPDM roofs were pretty much a disaster. The seams failed
prematurely because they stayed wet all of the time. Fully adhered, exposed
EPDM is used on many nearly flat commercial roofs. It is usually good for 15
to 20 years. Most failures occur in seams or flashing, almost never in the
field of the roof except for physical damage due to vandalism or equipment
installs. An EPDM roof without seams and with a slight pitch should last
WELL over 20 years. Installing it right over the existing plywood may leave
it vulnerable to nail pops. A foam interface with approved fasteners would
be better than your old plywood deck.