BigWallop

Default building control and kitchen requirements

"neil leslie" wrote in message
The previous owner of my flat blocked up the origianl kitchen door that
gave entrance to the kitchen from the hall and made entry from another
room [a room that I will use as a bedroom]. My plan is to block up the
new doorway and open up the original door once more. I have presented
plans to Building Control at my local council. They seem to be ok with
the door being replaced but the problem, and I did not see this coming,
is with the layout I propose for the refit of the kitchen. The kitchen
is tiny, about 5 ft by 7 ft, and Building Control say I should have
unobstructed access to the window for cleaning. This scuppers things as
I can't have my sink or any base unit in front of the window. None of
the kitchen planners I've had plans from pointed this out and the vast
majority of kitchens I've been in do have units/sinks in front of the
window. Suggestions as to how to proceed most welcome.

The requirement to be able to clean the window only means that you can't put
anything in front of it that will block its movement or be restrictive to
physical access. It doesn't mean you can't put anything in front of the window
that will mean you have to hop on top of it and swing the window in to clean the
outside.

As long as you can physically reach both the outside and inside of the window so
you can clean it, and without putting yourself or others in danger while doing
so, then you can proceed with your plans to fit your new kitchen units and sink.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com