neil leslie

Default building control and kitchen requirements

I have the original sash window in the kitchen so the bottom half opens
for cleaning and the top half slides down for cleaning but does not
rotate inwards. The window has handles that are less than 1.7m from the
floor but the top half has a latch that is above 1.7m

The flat is on the second floor. There is space to place a ladder, just.

In my initial telephone calls with Building Control they said that given
the age of the property [about 1890] my watch words were to be 'don't
make it any worse than it already is' but I guess this is open to
interpretation.

Christian McArdle wrote:

That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time. Have you ever
seen a kitchen with space in front of the window? The sink is almost
invariably chosen to sit in front of it.

Having looked at Building Regulations Approved Document Part N3, you need to
ensure that the window controls are no higher than 1.7m from the floor if
you have kitchen units of standard height and depth in front of it.
Alternatively, you can install a remote operating system.

Part N4 indicates issues for cleaning the outside of the windows. Is this
the issue? If so, how high up is your flat? Does the window rotate round for
cleaning? Is there somewhere hard to place a ladder?

Christian.