Charlie S.

"SteveF" wrote in message
.com...

I think you are saying to nail the 2x8 beneath the band joist and the
joist hanger... to spread the load. I like the concept and will do
something similar. The only problem is I can't put the 4x4 underneath it
because I have to remove the granite footing and pour a new footing
first.. either sauna tubes or a form. I prefer the form. You may have
seen the footings..on the link http://mysite.verizon.net/stamkis/id1.html

I need to make a support that gives me total access to the area beneath
the sill without the support resting on the space beneath it. I figured
some sort of A-frame setup would give me more room to work with.

I had also thought of supporting the band joist by using a 6x6 to run
perpendicular it. The 6x6 would run from under the porch to outside. It
would be supported by a platform with jacks on both sides. A contractor
I spoke with said jacks would be too risky. I added a picture of the
jack setup I was thinking about to the website. Please see
http://mysite.verizon.net/stamkis/id2.html
From the picture, it looks simple. And, doesn't seem that risky to me.
But, I don't work with these things all the time.

Got it. One thing that might help is for you to do a rough estimate of
the weight of the porch. It's hard to tell the size of the porch from the
pictures but I'd bet the whole thing doesn't weigh more than 2 or 3
thousand pounds. A 6 x 6 is overkill. Since you are rebuilding the
footers I'd use either A frames made of 4 x 4s with 2 x 6s (two at the top
(one on each side), one down as far as you can go and still leave room to
work on the footers) attached to the sides with 3" deck screws OR just put
a 2 x 6 under the full length of the floor joists about 2 foot back from
the band joist and then support with vertical 4 x 4s on maybe every third
joist.

Sorry for the late response. I didn't realize you replied. Thanks for your
help!
I am confused by what you are describing.... could you elaborate more. I'm
practically non-spacial. "A frames made of 4x4s." In other words all the
/ , \ , --.parts of the A would be made of 4x4's. After this I lose you.

"with 2x6s (two at the top (one on each side), etc"

2x6s at the top, Do you mean running flat and parallel with the band and
hanging joist? If so, why not one long 2x6 that runs the length of the
band? What's attached to the sides? Sides of what? How? (Sorry, it's not
your fault I have a difficult time visualizing.)

Option 2
is a little tricky as you need to see how the load from the wall is
transferred down the wall. If they built the floor joist structure and
then put down some substantial wood for the floor so that the wall can be
carried by the floor joists this would work. If the floor structure isn't
very substantial, like if they used 1 x 4s, then the load might break off
the edge of the floor and option 2 won't work.

Aren't older houses fun?!

Steve.