Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...
wrote:

Hi. I have a home built rotary phase converter (from plans/help from
this newsgroup). It currently has a 3hp motor as the idler, running a
1hp lathe. I am interested in upgrading so that I can support a 7-10hp
motor for some hydraulics. I found a motor with the following specs:

15hp, 2900 RPM, Frame 254 TZ, 50 Hertz, Voltage 190/380

but I'm am wondering if it will work. I am especially confused about
the 190Volt thing since I've never heard of this. I am in the US - can
this motor be wired to work as an idler for a phase coverter?

Would it be suitable to run this on 230V/60Hz USA as an idler? Should
I keep looking?

50 Hz motors can run fine on 60 Hz power. At that frequency your voltages would
be the more normal 440/220. 60 Hz motors can not always run OK on 50 Hz power,
however, because the lower the frequency the more copper has to be wound into
the motor.

If you lower the voltage in proportion to the frequency most any 60Hz, 3
phase induction motor will run just fine on 50Hz, just slower. This is
exactly what a simple V/Hz frequency drive does.

Ned Simmons