WillR

Billy Smith wrote:
I have a Jet 14in. bandsaw (JWBS-14OS) with a 3/4 HP,
120V motor. I've studied some books on adjusting and using
it and I think I have it set up right.
=20
It works fine when I cut through wood, including oak, up
to about 2in. thick. But when I try cutting anything
greater than about 3in. thick (even a 2X4) I have to
push it very hard, feed it very slowly (15 seconds to
go an inch) and the upper thrust bearing starts to
scream.
=20
This saw has a vertical cutting capacity of 6in. and I
want to be able to use it to resaw oak planks up to that
width. But the saw just won't do it now.
=20
I'm using a 1/2in. wide, 4TPI, Timber Wolf blade, got it
new, very little use so far. From what I can tell by
looking at it, the teeth are not hooked, i.e. the teeth
are not pointed down as they cut into the wood.
=20
Duginske's book says that I should be using a blade with
either hook or hook-skip teeth. I just called the manufacturer
and they said they have a blade that will work, a 1/2in.,
3TPI blade for resawing but they don't know if it has hook
teeth (!).
=20
Does anyone know if hook teeth is really necessary in this
case? Will hook teeth solve this problem? I know 3/4 HP
is somewhat low, but it sure seems like this saw ought to
be able to resaw a 2X4.
=20
Thanks,
Billy=20
=20
=20

Sounds Like a dull blade...

You my want to order the catalog from these guys. The one I have=20
explains the blades very well

http://www.tufftooth.com/

Look at the Band Saw blades and note this one.

"New Swedish Silicon Blades - 3/4"- NEW"

These thin kerf resaw blades are available from other suppliers as well.

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw