Alan G

Default Planning application for two storey extension

David wrote:
"IMM" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message

Does anyone have any practical suggestions that may help to solve

this

issue, please? Where can I find out more about this?

The best thing is to arrange a meeting with the planners. Often some
discussion and explanation from both sides can overcome this sort of
problem.

While this is probably your only route, I have to say that an extension
similar to what you what you describe, set back 1m from the front of the
house has just been put up around the corner from where I live and it is

far

more visually attractive than another property that was done several

years

ago with the extension in-line with the existing house, which just looks
totally out of place.

Some authorities insist than any extension cannot be flush with the

existing

walls. This means that a rear extension is a walls width inboard than the
main walls. Sometimes it look hideous. I can't see why they insist on
this, as it makes no sense at all.

While I would agree that it may be dodgy (and a bit pointless) on a rear
extension, for any side extension that I've seen, my personal opinion is
that setting back actually looks a lot better.

David

You can get a similar visual effect by using a darker brick at the join.
The planners may go for it if he can get a good drawing sghowing the effect