Harold and Susan Vordos

"John Flanagan" wrote in message
On 16 Aug 2005 01:32:52 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article ,
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
snip------

Having the mill climb will
keep you out of danger (why don't you want a rotary table?).

Want to take another stab at that, Tim? Climb milling is extremely
dangerous---causing the cutter to self feed. Do you have the concept
backwards in your mind?

I'm glad that you caught that. I was checking to see whether
someone had caught it before I posted.

If I can keep the cutter centered in the middle of the collar (while
rotating) I don't think climb cutting would be an issue since the
forces should be equal. But if I got off a bit it could grab and rip
it out of my hand, the indexer handle that is. That's why I like the
worm gear of the rotary table, I just don't like the set up time.....

John

I use a 12" Bridgeport RT, worm drive, and it has problems with climb
milling, depending on the nature of the cut. The closer you work to the
centerline of the table, the less troublesome it is, but it's rarely a
non-issue. Nothing that you can't deal with, mind you, but you must be
heads up. Hand feeding a cut in brass by climb milling is asking for
trouble, and you'd be fortunate if it didn't come knocking, even if you can
keep the cut centered. By contrast, I've machined large chamfers on
leaded brass bars by hand feeding them through fixed parallels with
excellent results, but only by conventional milling. No way in hell would
I try climb milling. Remember, drilling in brass, one is advised to reduce
the rake of the drill to zero. It's a bitch to machine when climbing due
to its eagerness to hog.

Harold