Default Old Husband's tale

Everybody, and I mean everbody puts down a barrier so when they put a
car battery down so it's not in contact with the ground, or cement. Now
normally the battery will sit on steel (in the car) which is a
conductor.

They say that being on the ground kills the battery. How does a
nonconductor (concrete) being in contact with another nonconductor
cause this ? I refuse to believe it, but I do not put said batteries on
the ground. (I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law)

Is this myth or mystery, and if true, just how in the hell can it be
true. I'm considered pretty advanced when it comes to electronics, but
this belief is so ubiquitous, that says there might be something to it.

If anyone can shed some light on the process whereby the "ground" can
discharge a car battery please enlighten me. I've now heard this again
and have considered buying two brand new car batteries and chargers
with which to gain empirical evidence. Sometimes when I get curious
about something I have a hard time letting go of it.

Can anyone either explain this so I can STFU, or debunk it so I can run
my mouth ? I've been hearing this for about 30 years now and have
dropped the subject numerous times. That is no longer good enough.

Or are we talking about something like the pyramids or whatever ? I
know some physics but I am by no means a physicist. I'm having a hard
time believe this "myth" and I would like it cleared up in my lifetime,
so I asked.

Thanks to anyone that can set my mind to rest on this annoying subject.

JURB