Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:24:27 +0200,

(=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Nick_M=FCller?=) wrote:

John Flanagan wrote:

I've got a part I need to machine (repeatedly) and was wondering if
anyone might make a suggestion for an effective and inexpensive
method. A photo of the cut that needs to be made can be found he

Does the part really have to look that way? I would say that the
designer has only seen a shop from the outside.

Ow, that hurts :^). But yes, it does. The part rotates in a sleeve.
The 90° cutout allows the part to rotate but it's rotation is limited
by a pin placed in the sleeve.

I've made these before just by chucking it in a fixed 5C holder on the
mill and by unchucking, rotating a little and then rechucking. Time
consuming PITRE plus it makes an ugly faceted surface. I was looking
for some method that would be faster and give a nice smooth surface
where the cutout meets the cylinder.

If you've got a collet block and a rotary table, perhaps
this setup, which happens to be on my rotary table right
now, would work. Shown with the table rotated in two
positions.

http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon...eadDieSet1.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon...eadDieSet2.JPG

A v-block is clamped to the rotary table and a square
collet block is held in the v-block by the machinist clamp.
The collet block is mounted with enough room underneath to
tighten the collet without disturbing the block.

I've been using it to make variations of this prototype
part on a BP...

http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/HeadDie.jpg

Ned Simmons