CW wrote:
Something that impresses me during this discussion is that everyone is
concentrating on hand saws and planes when laminate flooring is to be cut.
This stuff kills carbide rapidly, I don't see any carbon steel blade
standing up to it for any length of time.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Upscale wrote:
"Dave in Fairfax" wrote in message
inexperienced. I also wasn't saying that you'd get a sawcut that was
smooth as a baby's butt. You asked about the availablity of high
quality saws in Canada and I was suggesting LV.

I don't know if the pax saws are high quality or not. The Independence
saws, now made by Lie Nielsen and the Adria saws both have a
great reputation. Possibly these are as good as the best antiques
you could find.
Of course
there is time needed to hone the blade once every night or so
that's a quick job with the plane, don't know about the shear.

Of course we are, OP wanted a quiet saw. There are no quiet power
saws.

Honing the plane blade is a fast step.

Resharpening a Western style crosscut backsaw takes about
2-3 minutes, the teeth do not need to be jointed or set each
time it is sharpened.

Replacement blades for the less expensive Japanese style saws
are around $10, last I looked. A new blade should last
for a few nights' work.

--

FF