CW

Something that impresses me during this discussion is that everyone is
concentrating on hand saws and planes when laminate flooring is to be cut.
This stuff kills carbide rapidly, I don't see any carbon steel blade
standing up to it for any length of time.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Upscale wrote:
"Dave in Fairfax" wrote in message
inexperienced. I also wasn't saying that you'd get a sawcut that was
smooth as a baby's butt. You asked about the availablity of high
quality saws in Canada and I was suggesting LV.

I don't know if the pax saws are high quality or not. The Independence
saws, now made by Lie Nielsen and the Adria saws both have a
great reputation. Possibly these are as good as the best antiques
you could find.

It's ok, I'm not upset. I'm just keeping in mind the OP's request for a
quiet way to produce cuts (night time operation) that are suitable for
laying laminate flooring. Aside from the shearing method, or the edge
planing method (which I feel is much too slow for production speed
professional work) ...

I don't see why shearing or edge planing would be too slow. It
is one additonal step after cutting, but a quick one. Of course
there is time needed to hone the blade once every night or so
that's a quick job with the plane, don't know about the shear.

--

FF