Edwin Pawlowski

"bugbear" wrote in message
I am in the process of getting estimates to re-roof our 14 year old home.
We live in the Southeastern US and have asphalt shingles, but they are
severely worn out and starting to crack. My question is regarding ridge
vents. None of the homes in our sub have them. I imagine that is one
reason why the roof has failed prematurely. Can ridge vents be added when
re-roofing, or must the whole thing be torn off first? Thanks for any
advice you can give.

Can and should be done. 14 years is not a lot of roof time. Sounds like
the builder used cheap as he could. Get a good architectural shingle this
time around.