bugbear

Default Getting a Re-Roof

I am in the process of getting estimates to re-roof our 14 year old
home. We live in the Southeastern US and have asphalt shingles, but
they are severely worn out and starting to crack. My question is
regarding ridge vents. None of the homes in our sub have them. I
imagine that is one reason why the roof has failed prematurely. Can
ridge vents be added when re-roofing, or must the whole thing be torn
off first? Thanks for any advice you can give.
Edwin Pawlowski

"bugbear" wrote in message
I am in the process of getting estimates to re-roof our 14 year old home.
We live in the Southeastern US and have asphalt shingles, but they are
severely worn out and starting to crack. My question is regarding ridge
vents. None of the homes in our sub have them. I imagine that is one
reason why the roof has failed prematurely. Can ridge vents be added when
re-roofing, or must the whole thing be torn off first? Thanks for any
advice you can give.

Can and should be done. 14 years is not a lot of roof time. Sounds like
the builder used cheap as he could. Get a good architectural shingle this
time around.

Dr. Hardcrab

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"bugbear" wrote in message
I am in the process of getting estimates to re-roof our 14 year old home.
We live in the Southeastern US and have asphalt shingles, but they are
severely worn out and starting to crack. My question is regarding ridge
vents. None of the homes in our sub have them. I imagine that is one
reason why the roof has failed prematurely. Can ridge vents be added when
re-roofing, or must the whole thing be torn off first? Thanks for any
advice you can give.

Can and should be done. 14 years is not a lot of roof time. Sounds like
the builder used cheap as he could. Get a good architectural shingle this
time around.

and hopefully your wood hasn't rotted.

Helped a guy last month (nice time of the year to do shingles!!!) and almost
every board had to be replaced. More or less doubles the cost.

Any roofing company doing work nowadays will know there needs to be a ridge
vent.....

Duane Bozarth

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote:
Any roofing company doing work nowadays will know there needs to be a ridge
vent.....

Knowing that and installing it aren't the same thing, however, unless
homeowner asks...
Duane Bozarth

bugbear wrote:

.... no ridge vent...

imagine that is one reason why the roof has failed prematurely.

Certainly is, particularly in a warm climate...

ridge vents be added when re-roofing, or must the whole thing be torn
off first? Thanks for any advice you can give.

I assume you're talkinga about adding the ridge vent but not doing a
complete tearoff...if so, I'd strongly recommend against putting the new
layer of the old, particularly if the existing layer is badly failed--it
will just accelerate the aging of the new ones and the few bucks save
aren't worth it, imo...

Venting takes a systems approach.
Is there enough vent area at the eaves?
Is the roof sheathing set up for a ridge vent?

I would pay attention to Bozrath's warning about the condition of the
roof deck.
Include in any contract, a unit cost for replacement.
If it were my roof, I'd tear off what's up there now.

Also, look at Building Science Corporation web site.

TB
Charleston SC

willshak

On 8/13/2005 10:19 AM US(ET), bugbear took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

I am in the process of getting estimates to re-roof our 14 year old
home. We live in the Southeastern US and have asphalt shingles, but
they are severely worn out and starting to crack. My question is
regarding ridge vents. None of the homes in our sub have them. I
imagine that is one reason why the roof has failed prematurely. Can
ridge vents be added when re-roofing, or must the whole thing be torn
off first? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Ridge vents can be added at any time, including roofs that have been
shingled recently or even years ago. You can do it yourself if you are
not afraid of heights, have basic carpentry skills, and have access to
tools like a chalk line, hammer, and circular saw. Here's a how-to:
http://www.easy2.com/cm/easy/diy_ht_...ge_id=35693724

--
Bill
Norminn

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"bugbear" wrote in message

I am in the process of getting estimates to re-roof our 14 year old home.
We live in the Southeastern US and have asphalt shingles, but they are
severely worn out and starting to crack. My question is regarding ridge
vents. None of the homes in our sub have them. I imagine that is one
reason why the roof has failed prematurely. Can ridge vents be added when
re-roofing, or must the whole thing be torn off first? Thanks for any
advice you can give.

Can and should be done. 14 years is not a lot of roof time. Sounds like
the builder used cheap as he could. Get a good architectural shingle this
time around.

What is an architectural shingle?

willshak

On 8/13/2005 1:04 PM US(ET), Norminn took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"bugbear" wrote in message

I am in the process of getting estimates to re-roof our 14 year old
home. We live in the Southeastern US and have asphalt shingles, but
they are severely worn out and starting to crack. My question is
regarding ridge vents. None of the homes in our sub have them. I
imagine that is one reason why the roof has failed prematurely. Can
ridge vents be added when re-roofing, or must the whole thing be
torn off first? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Can and should be done. 14 years is not a lot of roof time. Sounds
like the builder used cheap as he could. Get a good architectural
shingle this time around.

What is an architectural shingle?

They are not a flat shingle. They have a 3 dimensional look to them
baing that some tabs are twice as thick as other tabs.

--
Bill
Travis Jordan

willshak wrote:
Ridge vents can be added at any time, including roofs that have been

shingled recently or even years ago. You can do it yourself if you are
not afraid of heights, have basic carpentry skills, and have access to
tools like a chalk line, hammer, and circular saw. Here's a how-to:
http://www.easy2.com/cm/easy/diy_ht_...ge_id=35693724

If you are in Florida make sure that the ridge vents that you choose are
on the statewide Product Approval list. Otherwise you risk installing
vents that aren't tested for wind-driven water intrusion.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Norminn" wrote in message

What is an architectural shingle?

Years ago, all roof shingles were three tab design. they all look pretty
much the same aside from color. Architectural shingles are more random
looking. Some look like cedar shakes, some closer to a slate shingle.
http://www.gaf.com/General/GafMain.asp?Silo=RES1&WS=GAF

Like anything else, the more you pay . . . . . .

Probably a good idea in any coastal location.
TB

The roofer can tell you whether ridge vents would work for your house.
They are not appropriate for all roofs. If you can't have ridge vents,
a power vent is the way to go.

Get a New Roof But Don't Add Any Ventilation? Jay Chan Home Repair 12 March 30th 04 06:16 PM
Anyone want some heart pine roof decking? woodyq Woodworking 1 March 30th 04 12:25 AM
FLAT ROOF - modern recovering methods? Richard Sterry UK diy 10 March 29th 04 11:28 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 03:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 03:43 PM