Lee Michaels

"Dan Major" wrote in message
.6...
"Upscale" wrote in
:

The only saw apparatus that I've seen on the LV site that might
produce cuts suitable for flooring is the mitre trimmer. It doesn't
exactly say, but viewing it online suggests to me that it's capable of
90° cuts.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...22&cat=1,42884

Check out the miter boxes:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...27&cat=1,42884 (standard)
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...26&cat=1,42884
(professional)

BOTH of these should be able to produce square, smooth ends similar to a
quality (power) chop saw. They have up to 32 tpi blades available. The
work can be clamped on the "bed" of the saw. The saw is "captive" in the
guides. Assuming that the saw is accurate and not defective (same
assumption for any equipment), there is no reason these would not make
quick, quits, accurate cuts. They *are* manual saws, and if you do much
cutting, you will get tired and sweaty. You'll make more noise huffing
and
puffing than the saw will make.

Way back when I was in eighth grade shop, we cut everyting on a miter box
like the ones shown above. And we did nice precise cuts too. Everything was
square. Our shop teacher was very particular about that. If the project
wasn't square or had bad joints, out grades would suffer.

As for ripping, we had handsaws for that. We would cut close to a line.
thenplane the board to the line. We did pretty good as a group of
beginners.