John Grossbohlin

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Prometheus" wrote in message

Yeah, give a nice handsaw a try- you can't really get a good one at
the local borg these days, but you can order them from any of the
mail-order companies that cater to woodworkers. Using hand tools only
seems hard until you get a good one, and then it's a real eye-opener.

Got a brand recommendation? Whatever I consider buying will have to be
available somewhere in the Canadian market.

Lie-Nielson has a variety of back saws available now and will have panel
saws in the not too distant future... I've got a couple L-N back saws (rip
and cross-cut) and some Diston and Sandvik panel saws (again rip and various
cross-cut). The Diston and Sandvik saws didn't come into their own until
they had been sharpened. From the factory they cut OK but not nearly as good
as after a professional sharpening.

John