Charlie S.

"P. Thompson" wrote in message
ocaldomain...
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Charlie S. wrote:

Need to shore up the porch before putting in new posts. Thus, I need to
support the outer band joist and this joists holding board at the same
time. Was looking to use A-frame structures to catch the both
beams/boards. However, I am just afraid the nails of this joist
supporting
board may come loose or crack if I don't do it right. Any way to
replace
or support this beam so it will have some more structural integrity?

http://mysite.verizon.net/stamkis/id2.html

This is probably as good a place as any to post this.

I looked at the pics and was unclear what exactly the " A-frame
structures" you were proposing were and how/where they would fit?

http://mysite.verizon.net/stamkis/id2.html

I was thinking of building a smaller version of the porch swing A-frame I
just posted on the site (see above). I would cut the top of the A to make
it flat and rest the the sill on it. I would probably use smaller beams to
holds the two sides together.

I also posted some diagrams of what I'm trying to build and do. I don't
know how clear they might be.

Have you considered joist hangers? I am not a carpenter but I have seen
those used in these sort of circumstances.

Hanger joist may be helpful, but these floors are not that thick. I'd have
to use short nails or screws... not offering much support. When I am
finished with the granite footings and outside posts, I was thinking of
running two 2x8's perpendicular to the joists and support them on posts.

Was that a hole you were trying to highlight with the flashlight? It is
difficult to see.

I was just trying to make it easier to see the conditions of the joists and
their connecting points. The tenth joist seems to have some damage.