Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 01:55:37 +0200, wrote:

wrote:
This happened all the time to Philips drive bands in tape recorders of
the sixties and seventies. I'd have thought they had changed the
formulation of the rubber by now...

Which reminds me, Philips actually did. In all of their videorecorders
from 1986 up to 2002 I have had to replace maybe 1 drive belt that
stretched a bit, never had one turn to liquid like they used to. On the
other hand, in the same time period their pinch rollers were a disaster.
Turning from soft rubber into a hard glass-like material, sometimes
only after 1 or 2 years of usage.

Years ago when I was a kid we had a phono turntable that had the
problem of the rubber roller losing material onto the metal shaft it
drove. Needless to say, the pitch didn't hold up well at all. :-)

What a riot...I very nearly sent this with "needles to say". :-)

Tom

---
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.