Swingman

"BillyBob" wrote in message

I've come across a source of pecan that is virtually unlimited and free.
Does anyone have any experience working with or finishing pecan? What can
you tell me about it?

My maternal grandfather, who passed away in the late 50's, left behind a lot
of "native" pecan furniture cut from his farm in S. Louisiana.

Wonderful wood for furniture, IME (though you need sharp tools/blades) -
especially if you like a natural, unstained finish (pecan takes an oil/poly
finish that looks terrific)... personally I'd take all I had room for, then
some.

There must be a regional thing about pecan and hickory being the pretty much
the same. Depending upon the variety, there is a notable difference between
pecan and hickory in the tone of the final product when finished, at least
in the species we get down here in S.E. Texas.

.... and despite the "native" variety still being relatively easy to find, it
is not cheap at the wood suppliers hereabouts.

My dream dining room table, as yet unrealized, is made from pecan, finished
with a hand rubbed oil/poly ... one of these days.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/07/05