DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Gunner wrote:
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 02:15:31 -0400, Artemia Salina
wrote:

I had to make a gib screw for my lathe. It was basically a 1/4-20 SHCS
with a very large head (I think it was 1/2" OD by 1/2" long).

How would you make that on a milling machine (and you can't use
attachments, or else I can use a milling attachment on a lathe to
make the framework for my hypothetical machine)?

helical interpolation

Yes -- if you have a CNC milling machine. Most home shops don't
start out with one, though there are projects to modify various grades
of milling machines into CNC capable machines. (But -- generally you
will need both a Mill and a lathe to make all the parts involved in the
conversion.)

http://www.sct-usa.com/millhelp.asp

Yes -- nice if you have CNC -- rather useless without it. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564