The Natural Philosopher

Default Electric pylons... are they noisy?

Simon Avery wrote:

"Lionel" wrote:

Hello Lionel

L| We're planning to move soon but noticed there are overhead
L| electric pylons in some parts of the town... health and
L| aesthetic issues aside, we are also concerned about the
L| fizzy and/or buzzing noise they are said to make.

L| Anyone confirm this and suggest at what distance the noise
L| should be inaudible?

Not all pylons are equal.

The big ones do buzz in misty or damp weather, very audibly. Maybe you
can't
hear 'em behind double glazing, I don't know. I DO know it plays merry
hell
with mobile and radio signals. Their buzzing also seems to vary
according to
time of day (I'm guessing load).

Small pylons don't buzz, as a rule.

Overhead power lines (2 or 3 wires, 11 or 33kv) don't buzz,

They do. Just not very much.

Leastways the ones I used to have over the back garden did.

neither
does
overhead LV (240vac, usually strung vertically around here). They do
arc quite
prettily when the wind pushes 'em together though.