PipeDown

wrote in message
oups.com...
After completing my addition, I now find that the only way to get on my
roof is to go purchase a 32' extension ladder (maybe). I may need to
go even more, but the fact that I ONLY need it to clean out a set of
gutters.

The fact that I have no trees around my house means that some other
objects usually are blocking the gutters. I have found tennis balls,
tennis shoes, newspapers, drink cans... did I mention I have children?

Anyway, considering the cost of a ladder that I am only going to use
twice a year at most, I have no reason to buy a 40' ladder. On the
other hand, it is a major PITA to go to "insert rental place here" to
get a ladder.

Has anyone just gone and installed an access hatch to the roof? I know
it means a hole in the roof, but properly installed, I cannot believe
it to be any worse than a power vent or skylight.

Comments?

My city has a "Lend a tool" program. All I have to do is show up at the
shed when it is open and prove my residence by flashing a water bill and
they will lend me ladders, lawn tools, saws etc for free.

Check your city hall website, you may have a program too.