Chip

On 09 Aug 2005 23:08:58 GMT,it is alleged that
(Andrew Gabriel) spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

In article ,
"PC Paul" writes:
Chip wrote:
Also noted is the lack of sleeving on the prongs, and
likely non-electrical grade metal used for the pins.

I have lots of plugs with no sleeving, is that part of the Standard?

It is now. You cannot sell such appliances without changing
the plugs first. That even applies if you take them along to
a car boot sale to sell yourself or to a fate.

Unsleeved pins are not a cause for a PAT test fail, although
some companies have a policy to replace such plugs during PAT
testing. The even older 13A plugs without the base broadening
near the live and neutral pins is a PAT test failure, although
you are very unlikely to find any of these nowadays.

And non-electrical grade metal? Wassatallabahtden?

Dunno. Many not solid brass bins

The type of brass usually used for plug pins is high conductivity and
has a slight 'give' to it compared to some other alloys. I have found
with cheaper plugs they sometimes seem to have pins made of an alloy
more closely akin to the old Yale keys, which is very brittle and can
snap far more easily.

--
SMS: Abbreviation, multiple meanings-
[1] Short Message Service, cellular telephone messaging method.