Dave

Gil HASH wrote:

Xcuze me for the newbie's strange question of the day :
Can a lathe be replaced by a milling machine for quite all
metalworking? In another terms, a milling machine is more
universal than a lathe or not?
(It's for me : buying first lathe or milling machine?)

I'm a newbie but I would say the basic question is whether you are
going to be working with cylinderical shapes or rectangular shapes. If
you plan to primarily work with rectangular shapes then you ought to
start with a mill. If cylinderical shapes then you ought to start with
a lathe. Neither a mill nor a lathe can really substitute for the other.