Autolycus

"AlexW" wrote in message
I am breaking up the 4" patio in front of our house this week.

Gas and Water come in under the gateway the and into the house at the
front and side of a lean to under the slab.

The Gas was put in after the main slab and been made good with a patch
concrete. This was probably over 20years ago by the looks of things
(pos. when external gas box was added to the house - way before our
time).

Thus I would imagine would put the gas pipe at a depth which won't be
affected by the breaking activity?

snip

If the gas pipe was installed with a "mole", its depth could be all over
the place, particularly if the ground had previously been made up with
rough hardcore. The first place my hired JCB hit the pipe it was less
than 200mm below the surface, but in other places it was well over 600mm
deep. If the gas pipe is yellow plastic, it will be surprisingly tough,
but a JCB bucket is tougher. Personally, I wouldn't worry about
breaking out 100mm, but you could always have a roll of duct tape handy
for while you're waiting for Transco.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***