AlexW

Default Breaking Concrete - What Depth for Services?

I am breaking up the 4" patio in front of our house this week.

Gas and Water come in under the gateway the and into the house at the
front and side of a lean to under the slab.

The Gas was put in after the main slab and been made good with a patch
concrete. This was probably over 20years ago by the looks of things
(pos. when external gas box was added to the house - way before our time).

Thus I would imagine would put the gas pipe at a depth which won't be
affected by the breaking activity?

The mains water stop in the road is relatively modern as it was replaced
a 3 years back when we bought. IIRC the depth was at least a foot
(probably more like 18").

So I guess that end is OK too?

The water comes into the side of the lean to, its a copper feed up
through the floor and the lean to is over well 100years old, although
the pipework looks newer.

The other end of the water feed comes in next to a recessed gully at the
the bottom of the slab, I can see that the slab at that point is 4"
thick, so it looks like the slab may have been put in after the fact
(the gully being closer to the level of whatever was there before).

My concern here is that the water feed in to the house is close to the
slab and vulnerable to breaking damage or worse still embedded in the
slab (unlikely I guess)?

Has anyone got a view as to whether I am just being paranoid about this
or advice as to approach the breaking carefully to avoid disaster?

Once again, TIA,

Alex.