Phil Scott

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in
message

"Phil Scott" wrote in message

"JTMcC" wrote in message
news

"Phil Scott" wrote in message

Now a question? What do you think happens to an all
steel
ship, with frozen storage holds 6 decks deep, below the
water level, with only the outside of envelope of the
holds
insulated, not the steel plates between the
holds...those
welded solid of course across the hull.

Thats exciting.

Phil Scott

No it's not. What thrills you about modern steels used at
low temperatures? It's an everyday occurance. Don't be so
afraid.

You didnt answer the question. I do. I met the design
builder in Honolulu two months later.

So tell me what happened in this case. It was in alaska
approx 1981. Smart remarks dont count, just an outcome
and
what would cause that outcome. Many people I talk to in
this
business know instantly what will happen in a case like
that.

With a change of 100 deg F, thermal expansion / contraction
of mild steel is
appx 3/4in per 100 ft. of length.

In your case above it is concievable that the inner welds
could have failed
given it was a fairly large ship, and provided the
temperature change
occured rapidly enough that heat heat wasnt transferred
quickly enough so as
to equally soak all of the structural members.

In real life, this would be pretty damned difficult to
accomplish, at
best--100 deg is a fairly large delta.

As the refrigeration systems were started up, 3ea 600 ton
ammonia screw machines, the holds reached minus 20F... the
bankers and other other investors were gathered on deck
drinking champagne and eathing sushi... a noise some
described as a howitzer being fired occurred, and the ship
shook violently as the high rollers fled for the gang plank
and watched the ship break in half and sink in a matter of
minutes, all that was sticking out of the water was an antenna
mast

I met the guy who designed and built the refrigeration on the
ship in Honollulu about 6 months later. (getting ready be the
chief engineer on one of Haddon Salts lobster boats ..H Salt
Esquire fish and chips magnate... I met him in Honolulu as
well and refrigerated one of his boats, a 160' lobster
boat...a single stage R502 blast freeze system fit into one
of the boats holds.)

Phil Scott

--

SVL