PrecisionMachinisT

"Phil Scott" wrote in message

"JTMcC" wrote in message
news

"Phil Scott" wrote in message

Now a question? What do you think happens to an all steel
ship, with frozen storage holds 6 decks deep, below the
water level, with only the outside of envelope of the holds
insulated, not the steel plates between the holds...those
welded solid of course across the hull.

Thats exciting.

Phil Scott

No it's not. What thrills you about modern steels used at
low temperatures? It's an everyday occurance. Don't be so
afraid.

You didnt answer the question. I do. I met the design
builder in Honolulu two months later.

So tell me what happened in this case. It was in alaska
approx 1981. Smart remarks dont count, just an outcome and
what would cause that outcome. Many people I talk to in this
business know instantly what will happen in a case like that.

With a change of 100 deg F, thermal expansion / contraction of mild steel is
appx 3/4in per 100 ft. of length.

In your case above it is concievable that the inner welds could have failed
given it was a fairly large ship, and provided the temperature change
occured rapidly enough that heat heat wasnt transferred quickly enough so as
to equally soak all of the structural members.

In real life, this would be pretty damned difficult to accomplish, at
best--100 deg is a fairly large delta.

--

SVL